Sunday, December 17, 2006

Temptation



Temptation, if it weren't so serious, would be kind of funny. Several times since the paparazzi shot pictures of Britney Spears getting into her limo, I've thought to myself that I could probably hit Google and find out what a celebrity with no undies looks like. And then I realize that:

a) I have a pretty good guess already.
b) She could be my daughter.
c) She is someone's daughter, and he would (or should) be distraught to think I'd want to see his daughter naked.
d) It would do me no good to find out.

"What's funny about that
?", you ask. I think it's funny that in the moment that the temptation comes to me, I would consider offending not only Britney and her parents, but my wife too. Furthermore, that I'd consider offending Jesus, who in the words of Bonhoeffer (I think) "...is worth every temptation ever resisted."
But as usual, in the moments that follow, when I take a step back, look at the temptation and see it for what it is, it seems so lame. It's not with pride but with disgust that I want to laugh and ask Satan, "Is that all you got?" I have better things to do.

I thought of using a paddleball as an illustration of self-control here, with the paddle representing what I really want, and the ball bouncing around every which-way representing all the things I think I want. (In hindsight I suppose I just did use that as an illustration.) But a better illustration would be a Rottweiler with a yappy little chihuahua hooked to it by one of those coiled-up phone cord things. Picture the chihuahua chasing after butterflies and darting to and fro, while the Rott is heading straight toward his master who has commanded him to "Come." It's him that is in control.

Obviously, the kick-dog represents temptation and the Rottweiler is us, keeping our eyes on our Master and constantly moving toward Him in obedience. An ex-smoker would like to light up, but what he really wants is to NOT light up. I want to encourage you to resist every temptation (they will pass), and don't let the things you think you want to do distract you from what you really want to do. Honor Jesus in everything. He's worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home