Sunday, March 18, 2007

Respect For G-d

While doing a little recreational reading on the topic of animals and souls, (let's not go there) I stumbled onto askmoses.com and was struck by the references throughout the site to "G-d". Maybe I just haven't gotten around enough see that earlier: I know that Jews refer(red) to God as "YHVH" in order to avoid speaking The Name, considered too sacred to be uttered or written. And the Muslim suffix to the name of the prophet, "Peace be upon him". I've always thought that was kinda cool, but not cool enough to make me want to convert.

But this "G-d" thing is new to me. On the website, when you mouse over it a small pop-up explains, "It is forbidden to erase or deface the name of G-d. It is therefore customary to insert a dash in the middle of G-d's name, allowing us to erase or discard the paper it was written on if necessary."

I don't know if I'll start doing that myself, but in a world where that name is used more as a curse than as a blessing, title, or name, it was strangely soothing to see the name of God handled with such respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home