Monday, June 04, 2007

Not Fade Away

The Rolling Stones (among others) sang, "Love is love and not fade away". Mmmm, my kind of music. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Now on to my post.

I wrote a few weeks ago about my surprise at discovering how high the expenses were in my company's 401k plan since we switched providers this year. To my chagrin, I found that our plan didn't offer an index fund, which I had hoped would deliver me from the high fees that were causing my hopes of early retirement to "fade away". I had spoken with the company's owner about it before to no avail. Spoke with him again after writing that post, because I was pretty charged up about it at the time, and gave him a little paper I had written up about how I thought it would be good for all of us if we could get an index fund. I think I was becoming a nuisance. He's busy running the company. But today he came up to me out of the blue and told me that as of next January, we'll have an S&P 500 index fund available! Not only that, but since our company's total combined account balance had passed some certain threshold, the expenses on all of our funds will be dropping by (generally) 1/2 percentage point! Who ever thought math could be so fun?

Breathe in, breathe out.

I had already taken other steps to lower my expenses, like redirecting some of my contributions from my 401k, where the expenses are high (did I already mention that?) to a Roth IRA, where the expenses are l-o-w, and they offer index funds. But now with expenses going down in my 401k too, and also a lottery ticket now and then, hopes of early retirement not fade away!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha.

I'll say this for your blog, man: when I first started reading you regularly I never thought I'd see this many posts on investing.

I'm happy that your index fund became a reality and that this will in turn mean your early retirement will be one, too. Keep it green, man!

June 06, 2007 7:42 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

"this many posts on investing"

???

Without actually going back and counting, I'd guess that's about the third one. If you want I could crank out a few more, but you'd probably notice a pattern emerging before long. They'd all start like:

"I wish I would've started saving for retirement earlier." I partied most of my money away until I hit my 30's. (Note to Josh- If you're not saving yet, stop reading and start now!)

Then there would be a part about how I wish I would have sold everything before the dot-com bubble popped. And they'd mostly finish with something about index funds and low expenses.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that early retirement is a done deal. That's where the lottery ticket comes in. But it IS a bit more likely now. Thanks for your cheers!

June 06, 2007 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home