Monday, August 03, 2009

Simple Financial Tip

If you're the kind of person who likes to use your credit cards to charge your gas and coffee and other things all month long, but you don't like getting wacked with a humongous bill when your statement comes (yes, we still receive and pay our bills on paper via snail mail) then I'd like to share this idea with you that my wife came up with a couple of years ago, which we've found really helpful. It won't save you any money, but it will save you the balance shock.

When I charge a tank of gas, I write it in the checkbook as though it were a check.
"$35.00 at SuperAmerica"
Where you would normally write the check number, just write "Visa" (or whatever card you used), and subtract $35 from your balance right now. You'll still spend the same amount that you always do, but now when you get your Visa bill and you write the check for $300 or whatever your balance is, you don't have to suddenly come up with $300 to pay the bill since you were subtracting it all along as you went. Like I said, it won't save you any money, but it's easier to subtract $20 here and $10 there, than to have to find $300 all at once when the bill comes. I hope it helps you like it helps us!

Here's an easy way to save up a few bucks, which I've been doing for about 20 years:
Every time you write a check, round up to the nearest dollar and subtract that amount from your balance. When you make a deposit, round down to the nearest dollar and add that amount to your balance. For example,

Write a check (or charge) for $19.38 and subtract $20 from your balance.
Make a deposit of $106.98, and only add $106 to your balance.

It's not much, but it adds up over time, and it's painless! Plus, you don't have to deal with all the pennies. Before you know it, you'll have a couple hundred bucks without even trying!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Seth Anderson said...

Or, the bank could be stealing from you a little at a time and they would have a few hundred bucks before you even realized that anything was missing ;). Sorry, I just had to play a little devil's advocate here. But I do agree on one thing. Slow and steady is the way to build wealth.

August 06, 2009 9:25 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

You're no fun.
By the way, Seth. I clicked on your name to visit your blog but your link is bad.

August 08, 2009 11:00 AM  
Blogger Josh Crain said...

So I have to ask: what do you think about the whole Brett Favre thing?

August 19, 2009 2:42 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Hi there... is it "Josh"? Welcome to my blog.

I've been saying that I wouldn't mind seeing Brett play for us, considering that we've got a couple of less-than-hall-of-fame caliber QBs on the roster fighting for the starting spot. But for Favre's sake, I've been hoping he'd stay retired. He's got nothing to prove, and lots to lose, especially physically. I'd hate to see him have another lousy season and end his career that way. But even more, I'd hate to see him get hurt, and end his career that way.

Having said all that, I'm surprised at how excited I am about the whole thing. We had a pretty good shot at taking the NFC North (again) even without him, and then choking (again) but I don't think it's unrealistic to say that we're Super Bowl contenders now. QB was really the weakest link in a chain that's been getting pretty strong the past couple of years. Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson on the ground; Wade, Berrian and now Harvin thru the air.

I heard a great big collective "UH-OH" from the NFC yesterday when the story broke, and I think it's even echoing in the AFC. What do you think?

August 19, 2009 6:16 PM  
Blogger Josh Crain said...

I think that's a pretty good analysis. If Favre can stay healthy he still seems to be a top-tier quarterback.

I wish you guys all the best and I'm hoping for a Steelers/Vikings Super Bowl so that you and I can make some kind of awesome bet involving nickels or pennies.

August 21, 2009 12:18 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

You mean Vikings/Steelers Super Bowl.

August 21, 2009 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home