Sunday, September 11, 2005

Buccaneers Plunder Vikings

As a longtime fan of the Minnesota Vikings, I was so disgusted after their implosion a couple years ago that I became a fan of the Green Bay Packers. It was hard to cheer for the Pack at first, because they're an arch-enemy of Minnesota, a constant rival in the battle for the NFC central (now the NFC north). I couldn't take it anymore: the fumbles and interceptions by Daunte Culpepper made me crazy! As did the nonexistent defense. So I made the switch.

Since then, the Vikes have shown steady improvement in their offense, especially the bane of my existance: Culpepper. He's been awesome! And this year it looks like there will be a defense in Minnesota, so it could be good! I've moved back and pretty much made them my team again. The Packers are now my "backup team".

But then came the opener. In the 24-13 loss to Tampa Bay, the defense looked excellent at first, but the offense struggled. Suddenly, Arrrrg! It's like I stepped into a time machine! Culpepper with 2 fumbles and 3 interceptions, and 2 of those INT's coming in the final 2 minutes of the game, when the Vikes were driving for the game-winning TD! It was hard to watch. Even in giving up 24 points though, I think there's still a lot of hope for the defense.

One bright spot in the game was Darren Sharper who Minnesota picked up from (how fitting) the Packers. An INT he took 88 yards for a touchdown. He had several great hits, and was an overall pleasure to watch.

My OTHER team (I'm still calling them my other team for now, I'm not bailing after one game) The Packers, are just starting their game against Detroit as I write this, so I'm hoping they'll give me something to cheer about. It'll be a tough decision when Minnesota meets Green Bay this year. Who to root for?

3 Comments:

Blogger DErifter said...

TE,

The way I see it, everyone's looking for something. I know I don't have a lock on the truth but, like Peter said to the lame man at the gate, "...what I have I give to you."

He was talking healing, but what I'm saying is that I'm just laying what I know out there so that if anyone can benefit from it, here it is. Take it. Even if I'm wrong, maybe that will be revealed in the comments they leave, and then I'll be the one who grows.

It's like the cups in convenience stores that say, "Need a penny? Take one. Got a penny? Leave one." Except we're talking two cents: Thoughts.

Some are bound to have different motives, but I don't want to keep what I know to myself because of them. I'll share what I have in the hope that someone will benefit.

You probably got Clint's message that he's taking a break too. In the short time we've been carrying on here, I feel like I got to know you guys some and I feel blessed by it. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm telling you what I told him: It's been an honor to have your comments here, and you're always welcome to add your two cents.

Blessings to you and your family, TE!

September 11, 2005 11:15 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

The Chiefs have had a great offense for a few years now! But I know who I'll be pulling for when they play either of my teams. It really would be nice to have a team with a good offense AND a good defense, or I'd even settle for an average defense. For quite a while, Minnesota's defense has done little more than stink up whatever stadium or dome they've played at. Even so, I think it's more exciting to watch that than to have a great defense and no offense. (Yawn.)

Regarding your blog, you don't need to be looking for an argument, just think of it as a discussion. If it's your post, just post what you want and leave it at that. If someone doesn't agree with you it's ok. Nobody agrees with everything anybody says so if you think they'll agree with everything you say, you'll be disappointed. You don't need to convince them of your position but if something you say moves them an inch closer to Jesus, be thankful for that.

"T.E. planted the seed, derifter watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow."

1 Corinthians 3:6-7 (loosely...)

Peace man.

September 12, 2005 6:18 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Welcome back, TE! Haven't heard from you in a few days, I thought you were mad at me or something! Not really. I think that when I start paying people to visit my blog, I'm only gunna have to write 1 check, to you. Unless Google picks up on the words "PAYING PEOPLE TO VISIT MY BLOG".

I saved the above paragraph as a Word document so that I can just paste it into a comment every time you scrap your blog, then start a new one.

HA HA! You know I'm just having some fun with you, TE. It's good to hear from you. A new blog, huh? I'll have to check it out.

No, I don't think you're too much of a hypocrite. There's no commandment that says "Thou shalt not end thy blog once thou hast opened it, and neither shall you restart it after thou hast ended it."

It's been pretty slow around here without you guys commenting! I've been spending more time checking out other blogs lately. Don't be a stranger, eh?

September 16, 2005 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home