Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Value Of A Meerkat

There's been a big stink raised here recently about a family of five meerkats at the Minnesota Zoo that had to be put down because one of them bit a girl who put her hand in the meerkat exhibit. (Story)

On the news, people are ripping on the girl's parents for not keeping a closer watch over her. One letter from a reader of the Minneapolis Star Tribune compared the suffering of the meerkat family to the suffering of the girl and her family, implying that the two stand on equal ground. Call me crazy, but I'd shoot the meerkats just for fun even if they hadn't bitten anyone! Was it bad parenting to let their daughter stick her hand in the exhibit? Sure it was. Was it stupid of the girl to think she wouldn't get bit? Yep. "Am I going to lose five minutes of sleep worrying about how the world won't be the same without those five meerkats?" asked Derifter, while trying not to laugh. "ZZZzzzzz" came the quick reply.


I don't see much in the way of concern for the little girl. I must live in PETA Paradise. To avoid this kind of outcry, maybe I'll try to brush mosquitoes away when they bite me instead of slapping them. The poor things.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hey, I'll drive over in Cleezer with my gun and go a meerkat huntin' with you! Sounds like fun! But you better be a quick aim... those things dart! (You don't have any Cheney blood do you? Just curious...)

August 09, 2006 7:16 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Maybe it would be better if I drove down to your place in my "pretty" new truck (eh, JLF?) because I'm not sure there's enough gas in the world to get Cleezer all the way up to Minneapolis! Besides, there's not as many meerkats around here as there used to be. (chuckle)

August 09, 2006 5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

derifter, you are a cold, heartless human being. You'd shoot those meerkats without a second thought, but they'd NEVER harm you!

...unless you stuck your hand in their cage.

August 14, 2006 3:49 AM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

Of course I meant 'pretty' in the best possible way. ;)

August 16, 2006 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home