Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It Sure Sounds Good

It feels like we've been red-lining our life the past... I dunno what's it been...month or two? Between babies, weddings, my truck needing brakes, trying to get rid of my wife's old car and find a new one, personnel drama at work, having to fix a busted cable on the garage door so momma can park in there, graduations, birthdays-- It all makes me want to push in the clutch, let the engine idle down, and just coast for a while.

I was thinking through Psalm 23 a little bit ago, which led to the title of this post and the post itself. What sounds so good to me is verse 2, and into verse 3:

"He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul."

Mmmmmmm, yeahhhh. I might see some of that in early July, as most of our company is shut down from the 4th through the 8th. I hope to get out fishing with my dad, brother, and maybe my sister and her husband-to-be on that Thursday, and spend the rest of the weekend remembering how to slow down. I get pretty distracted when I stay too busy for too long. Distracted from God, from my wife, and even from strangers. I notice that when I'm rushing around, it seems like everyone's in my way and I just want them to move so I can get going. I don't have time for them or their problems. But when things slow down, I realize how I've been missing the point of life. I'm getting one of those glimpses right now, as I realize it before things slow down. Anytime God's children (or those who could be) "get in your way", you know something's messed up.

So, enough whining huh? I got things to do! Just kidding- I'm gunna get me a cold Miller High Life and drink it slow, and then hit the hay.

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh Crain said...

Ah, the champagne of beers. Hope you enjoyed it, man. I also hope that you get a chance to lie down and rest in Christ very soon.

Besides, you live in Minnesotta, so you only get 3 weeks of summer. Enjoy it!

June 20, 2007 2:22 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Yeah, but the three weeks we do get are worth almost 4 weeks in Chicago!

What does that even mean? I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's an excellent response to your comment.

June 21, 2007 7:13 PM  
Blogger Josh Crain said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 22, 2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger Josh Crain said...

Well, I read it five times and I'm still not sure exactly what it meant.

So, yeah...we'll just go with excellent (nonsensical) response.

June 22, 2007 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home