Monday, June 25, 2007

Not Your Own

"You are not your own, you were bought with a price."

Living like you believe Paul's words to the Corinthians, will help you realize how true it is that we're "strangers and aliens". Everywhere you look, the message shrieking from televisions, billboards, newspapers, radios, and the web is that it's all about you. You deserve it. Color outside the lines. You're the man! No, the boss - No, you're the king!

It's foreign, in the face of that to say, "No, I'm the servant. He's the King!" Without God, we're dead in our sins. But with His Spirit indwelling us, we CAN resist temptation. It really is possible. When a hot girl in a bikini walks by, you can notice. No harm, no foul. But when your looking turns to leering, LOOK AWAY! It can be done! That's the first example that comes to mind, but we can honor God in so many ways. What I'm talking about here is honoring God through submission to Him, and to His will. King Arthur and The Knights of the Round Table come to mind. Do I want to look at the bikini girl? Sure, I'm a man.

"Then look!" says the world. "You can do whatever you want! It's your life!"

But I'm a man who is submitted to his King. And because I am, I'll deliberately at this moment put what He wants ahead of what I want (Because that's what I really want.) And it's not all about me, it really is all about Him. And I'm not going, "Boo hoo hoo, I didn't get to drool over the bikini girl because stupid God won't let me look." No, I'm going, "Lord, you've given me life, and I can't improve on that by anything I do. But out of gratitude I'm going to honor this woman, and my wife, and You by not polluting this moment." It's a small act of worship. A large act of submission. And it'll burn the Devil's butt more than a waist-high flame. Try it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home