Monday, April 07, 2008

You Can't Handle The Truth?

I find it odd that as born-again Christians, many of us hesitate to enter into the amazing truth that God has spoken about us. I could retire a little earlier if I had a nickel for every time I've heard a Christian, even preachers, qualify exciting things that God has done in them personally (or us as a body) by sheepishly adding something along the lines of, "...not that I could have done it without the help of God...". Okay, let's just put that to rest: Most people already knew you couldn't have done it without the help of God! You're not that good.

I'm talking about Christians who wear sinfulness and unworthiness almost like a badge of honor. Are we afraid that if we live like what God says about us is true, we'll fall into pride? I think there's a danger of falling the other way too, and downplaying what God has done in us. I think it's even a form of unbelief. Say for example, the idea that over the years God has cleaned up the way I think. That blows me away! But you never hear it said without the cling-on phrase, "But I still have a lonnng way to go..." Well, of course we do. But I say let's celebrate what God has done. I'm telling you that God HAS cleaned up the way I think. And I'm thankful for it, pure and simple. I have no pride in it, it's His doing. But I take joy in the fact that He is working in me, and I can see the results. If you can't see results in your life, you need to wonder why. If He's given us new life, and a new nature, why do we want to downplay that? Let's get that thing out in the open and see what it'll do! How holy can we possibly live?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff ( Va. Rebel ) said...

Hey brother ... I was just rolling down the highway and thought to pull in and check on ya .
Certainly all credit should go to God for any " enlightened " thinking we might have . For it is His spirit which guides and reveals truth and understanding to us . But alas , the proud and arrogant sort .
I'll tell ya , the apostle Paul was a sharp stick in the eye for some ! He could blast 'em right along with the best ! I think we fail to see how harshly folks were indeed critiqued and exposed by even Christ !!
As has been said , of a truth , sometimes we're so heavenly minded that we're of no earthly good . We must be able to relate , to be of service to our King ... hence - in season and out of season .
Whilst we continue fishing for men ... here's hoping yer lakes thaw soon so you can get back to yer " wrist snapping ." Take care .

April 10, 2008 6:32 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

I feel like my blog is a truck stop now! Or maybe a wayside rest.

Some of the little ponds are opening up, but the big lakes are still frozen. We're supposed to get 8" of snow they're saying now. In mid-April!

April 10, 2008 6:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff ( Va. Rebel ) said...

Hey ... yer getting more traffic than me ! I'd even welcome a tourist nowadays !
Snow in April ... man ! That's agin tha law , aint it ?! It's near 80 here , sweltering .
Tell ya what , send me a lil of yer cold and I'll send ...
( thanks for the coffee bro )

April 11, 2008 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home