Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vacation 08




Mrs. Derifter and I just returned from our summer vacation. It was a bit of a whirlwind, covering in just 8 days:

Mt Rushmore
The Badlands
Deadwood, SD
Yellowstone Nat'l Park
Glacier Nat'l Park, and
Banff Nat'l Park.

We never did get to see a grizzly, which would have made my year, but my wife caught a glimpse of a black bear that was about to be tranquilized by Park personnel near Lake Louise. We had a great time, but it wasn't nearly long enough to see all of those things the way we would have liked. And I learned that there really are some good things in Canada!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Julian Freeman said...

And I learned that there really are some good things in Canada!

You sound surprised! :)

July 25, 2008 8:51 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Nah, I was just baiting you. It was really gorgeous. But I had to sharpen my math skills to translate km/h on the signs to mph on my speedometer! And gas prices were horrendous! We had planned to drive back home on HWY 1, but gas in Calgary was $1.31/liter, and less than $4/gal in the US, so we drove thru Montana and North Dakota instead.

July 26, 2008 1:28 PM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

Yeah, the gas'll kill ya. We were in Buffalo last week (I got to pretend I was Kirk Cameron) and we made darn sure to fill up before we came back to Canada.

It's funny, but Canadian cars have kn/h and mph on their speedometers... don't American cars? If not, that's funny... and typical. Why are we always the ones to accommodate? :-)

July 26, 2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

I didn't know you were Kirk's body double, man! That's too bad that he didn't make it. At least you got to visit America for a while.

Regarding the speedometer, it really was odd. Both of our cars have the dual kmh/mph version, but we didn't think either of our cars would make the trip. So we rented a Chevy Malibu. I was surprised to find it only displayed mph. Can't tell you why.

July 27, 2008 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home