Thursday, November 13, 2008

How Low Can We Go?

This isn't about stocks or the economy. It's about the human condition.
I read this article this morning, and it absolutely blew my mind. It was the first I had heard of it, and I've been kinda depressed all day because I can't stop thinking about how far we've fallen. What were these dudes thinking? I haven't a clue. If life sucks and you're mad at the world, just stick your head out the window and yell, "AHHHHHH!!!" Don't inject people with infected blood. Some people might say, "How can there be a god if this sort of thing can happen?" To me, it makes me think there has to be a God. There needs to be, because if this is where humanity is heading and there is no god, then there is no hope available anywhere. But there is hope in the fact that Jesus sacrificed Himself to redeem people who were as far gone as these guys. There's hope for them,
for you, for me, for child molesters, everybody.

You picture the Garden of Eden, where life was good in every sense of the word. And then you hear of this story. I can't begin to imagine what life is now like for the fourteen victims who woke up to find that not only had they been drugged and raped, but intentionally infected with HIV. Man, that's a hangover you don't get rid of with an aspirin. I'm sorry to put up such a downer of a post, but it's pretty much consumed my mind today.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh Crain said...

21 years in prison if found guilty. Can they not be charged with attempted murder? I realize it's a slow agonizing death, but this will almost certainly end in death.

Very sad.

November 14, 2008 1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What if the human condition has not changed, rather society has changed around it. As society becomes more and more godless, there is less and less pressure for people to act in a godly manner. While I lament what has happened to these men, I can only thank God it does not happen more often. So here is my take on the story: I would say we have not fallen further, we have only quit pretending we did not fall.

November 14, 2008 2:59 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Josh,
I read that in Holland, they consider AIDS a chronic condition, not a terminal illness. (They must have found the cure over there...) So it's like "grievous assault" or something like that.

November 14, 2008 3:11 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Seth,
I wish you were right, but I think most of our society still is pretending they haven't fallen.
I like your thinking, though. We have fallen all the way down, but maybe it's just becoming more clear how far that is.

November 14, 2008 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home