Friday, August 20, 2010

A Mosque at Ground Zero?

Boy do I find myself in an odd position on this one. I agree with the president! Well, at least with his clarification of his earlier comment. He either did a nice job of clarifying what he meant (possible) or did a nice job of reading the damage control statement prepared by the party (more likely).

In case you somehow haven't heard, there's a Muslim group that wants to build a mosque/religious training center near ground zero of the Sept 11, 2001 attack on the WTC in New York. The Right has portrayed Obama's statement the other day that this group has the right to build on and practice their religion on the property that they own near GZ, as essentially sleeping with the enemy. Obama's clarification of his earlier comment said that he wasn't commenting on the wisdom of a Muslim group building there, only on their right to do so. What part of that doesn't make perfect sense? It might be idiotic to build a mosque there, as it almost certainly would be a favorite target of vandals, but I'd stand right next to the president and proclaim their right to do it.
Then I'd whisper in his ear about deficit spending,
gay rights, abortion, racism...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a humorous response to this the other day: "It seems only fair. After all, we have been bringing ground zero to their mosques for years."

I would say I have to agree with you. I hope they don't build one there, but I agree they have the right to do so.

Later,
Seth

August 23, 2010 9:16 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Ha ha! I wanna be offended by that remark, but somehow I just can't be. Instead, I'll scold you to make myself feel better:
"SETH! You should be ashamed!"

There... conscience cleared.

August 23, 2010 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home