Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Intelligent Design In Kansas Schools

"Risking the kind of nationwide ridicule it faced six years ago, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public-school science standards Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution."

That's the opening sentence from the story on MSNBC. It seems strange to me that the school board would be "ridiculed" for putting forth another theory on the beginnings of life. Maybe they should be praised for their open-mindedness. Are Darwinists that sure that theirs is the only possible explanation? Why is it that they are so threatened by even the possibilility of another theory being taught? Shouldn't students be able to investigate other ideas, or should they just throw their brains out the window and believe whatever is taught?

Is Intelligent Design the same as Creationism? In all honesty I don't see how the two can be separated. But I wouldn't say that Creationism is synonymous with Christianity, as critics claim. Would you be comfortable having your child taught Intelligent Design as the public schools will present it, keeping in mind that it probably wouldn't match your beliefs? Or are you content to have evolution taught in school and your own beliefs at home? Would teaching ID in public schools constitute congress "making a law respecting an establishment of religion"?

Click the comments button to speak your mind.

5 Comments:

Blogger DErifter said...

So you're saying you DON'T support evolution then? TE, I thought for sure...

November 09, 2005 5:23 PM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?

If you don't want your kids to be educated in a pagan manner, by pagans, with pagan presuppositions, take steps to educate them some other way.

Even America (believe it or not) is populated by sinner (not Christians) and is a pagan country (despite all the hopes it places in "evangelical" presidents). The state will never be able to care for the souls of our children. Can souls really be separated from minds?

November 10, 2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger DErifter said...

jlf81,

If I had kids in school right now, I think home-schooling would be the option I'd be looking at. But then money becomes an issue, with only one parent working. Or in the case of a single parent, that would effectively rule out home-schooling also. Private schools are expensive. So if you're left with public schools as your only option, what do you do? I'm less interested in seeing government's version of I.D. taught in schools than seeing evolution NOT taught. But I'm not gunna hold my breath on that one.

Thanks for your comment!

November 10, 2005 9:08 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

It's not a jet... but the guy sure writes like a Canadian... hmmm, maybe a jet-mouth? Is that harsh?
Only cause I know him!
Let's see - that had nothing to do with your post.
Sorry again, derifter!

November 11, 2005 8:55 PM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

te must be an American... always thinking about violence and war ;-)

I agree that it's tough, derifter. I have no idea what the best option is. As a newlywed with no kids yet born or on the way I haven't looked into it too much. What I do know is "Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble with it" (Prov 15.16). I also know how vulnerable all of our souls are, especially at such a formative age.

I am probably speaking outside of what I know, and definitely outside of what I've experienced, but I do think that for many people, the choice to homeschool is not an option because the family won't be able to enjoy the "lifestyle" it's grown accustomed to with only one income.

Maybe the problem sometimes is that parents need to learn to live on less for the sake of the souls of the children.

Tough issue though.

It's a little easier here in Canada where the government is to out-and-out liberal and pro-gay agenda... makes you REALLY want to stay away from public school. When you're dealing with single-parents especially, though, it's tough.

November 15, 2005 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home