Friday, December 30, 2005

Happy New Year

As we begin the new year, with all its opportunities and hope and promise, receive this blessing:
(Brennan Manning, an author and ex-priest, spoke it over the congregation at Open Door long ago. He was quoting his spiritual mentor, Larry Heim)

"May all your expectations be frustrated,

May all your plans be thwarted,

May all your desires be withered into nothingness,

That you may experience the powerlessness and poverty of a child,

And sing and dance in the love of God, with Father, Son, and Spirit."


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

3 Comments:

Blogger A Truth Seeker said...

SCARY

January 06, 2006 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, man. I shared it with my wife and she said, "I don't really want that to come true." I don't think we ever do, though. It's after the fact, when we can look back and see how our own hopes and dreams were nothing compared to the vision of God, that we can be thankful for our personal failures in light of His accomplishments in our lives.

January 13, 2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Excellent point. I can appreciate your wife's honesty.
I don't think that it really even needs to come true. It's just that, to the extent that my hopes and dreams are out of line with God's plans, that I'd want them to be dashed. It's a reminder of who this universe is all about.

January 15, 2006 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home