Sunday, December 04, 2005

"This Holiday" ads

Is anyone else tired of the ads that say, "This holiday, come and spend your money at our store"? Usually the items advertised are not Hanukkah Trees or Kwanzaa Canes, but traditional Christmas decorations and gifts. I've even seen Christmas trees advertised as "Holiday trees". What other holiday is known for having evergreen trees decorated to the hilt and surrounded by presents? How much do you think people spend on "holiday gifts" apart from "Christmas gifts"? Unless these stores have an agenda besides making a profit from the sale of their products, it seems to me they are trying to avoid offending the wrong people.

Merry Christmas everyone. May the joy of the Lord bless you and yours this Christmas Season!

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

derifter,
That is a funny observation - now that you have tipped me off to it I am sure I will see it everywhere! Funny how sin makes people so inconsistent!

December 05, 2005 11:37 AM  
Blogger Julian Freeman said...

The thing that never ceases to blow my mind is that people don't care that their worldviews are so incredibly inconsistent. Unbelievable.

I even saw a honda commercial the other day where there is a choir singing the song "we wish you a merry Christmas", but instead they were singing "we wish you a happy holiday". When I first heard it, I knew it sounded weird, but I couldn't put my finger on it. It took me a couple minutes to realize they had changed the words. That's grotesque. If you don't want our "Christ" keep your hands off our "Christmas" AND our songs!

Not that I have an opinion or anything.

December 10, 2005 1:31 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

Yeah, I've seen that one too. I thought they were singing "We wish you a happy holiday" but next time you see it, listen carefully and I THINK you'll hear them say "We wish you a happy Honda-day".

I don't know if that's any better because now Christmas is about Hondas instead of Jesus, but I suppose I'll protest by not buying a new Honda. (I wasn't going to buy a new car anyway, but hey- now I'm really not! Take that.)

December 10, 2005 4:24 PM  
Blogger A Truth Seeker said...

I say go out of your way to say "Marry Christmas" or tell every one who says "happy holiday" to get it right. Maybe if enough of us do this then people will realize this is Christmas not Holiday. When is Holiday anyway?

December 14, 2005 11:46 PM  
Blogger DErifter said...

I guess a few stores are getting the message (See the next post). I tend to go out of my way to say "Merry Christmas" anyway, because it's hard NOT to! It's such a cool time of year.

Peace.

December 21, 2005 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home